Tips for dealing with sensitive scalp
Itching? Burning sensation? Redness? Dryness? Soreness in the skin of the head when touched? These are symptoms of sensitive scalp! Which means that there is imbalance in the skin and if not addressed in time, the condition can become a prerequisite for a healthy or psychological discomfort. Therefore, the identification of the causative factors and their removal is essential for dealing with sensitive scalp. We offer you some tips in this regard.
According to some surveys about 50% of the world population is suffering from the problem sensitive scalp. Most are women, as they not only accumulate a large amount of stress in everyday life, but also regularly put their hair through coloring, use of styling products, heat appliances, and tight hairstyles - all sorts of harmful manipulations that disturb not only the strength of the hair but also that of the scalp.
What, after all, is the reason for sensitive scalp?
Although the scalp is thin and delicate it is very vascularised and "furrowed" with many nerve endings. That's why it is so sensitive even to the smallest disorders in its protective lipid barrier that supports its health.
Under the influence of a number of factors (climate, improper nutrition, diets. aggressive cosmetic formulations, stress, contamination) a part of the lipids break down, which leads to water loss, imbalance in the sebum production, and a complete change in the physiological microflora of the scalp. The cell renewal accelerates and the harmful substances and microorganisms penetrate deeply. All this leads to itching, redness, burning, dryness, flaking and even dandruff.
What kind of actions to take to deal with sensitive scalp?
- Try to restore the lipid balance with regular scalp moisturizing and nourishing. It is recommended to use natural oils or products that contain such oils. Thus, the cells will receive again the necessary amount of fat and water, the natural protective barrier will be restored, and the irritation and dryness will disappear.
- Reduce the heating impact on the scalp. Any heat source, whether sun rays, hot water, hair dyers or hats, dilates blood vessels, resulting in increased sensitivity of the scalp and exacerbated symptoms.
- Consider changing your hairstyle. Any aggression against your hair could be a provocateur of the sensitivity of the scalp. It is good to reduce the coloring procedures or at least to use dyes with natural oils that will recoup the effect of the chemicals. Avoid too tight hairstyles or choose a haircut, which doesn’t require much styling.
- Rely on a specialized formula for sensitive scalp. In many cases, aggressive ingredients in the hair care products cause an imbalance in the pH of the scalp, and this leads to symptoms of sensitivity. Therefore, it is advisable to switch to the use of a specialized formula. It has a soft cleansing effect, the foamy substances don’t irritate or dry out the skin, and the active ingredients work to restore the hydrolipidic balance, to neutralize the irritants and to relieve the symptoms.
- Do not wash your hair too often, because it disturbs the natural barrier of the scalp. It is good to use a specialized formula 2-3 times per week and in the other cases - a shampoo with herbal extracts (chamomile, mint, lavender), which has an immediate calming and therapeutic effect on the skin. Or just rinse your hair with chamomile or lavender tea.
The sensitivity of the scalp can be caused by dozens of reasons and in most cases they have nothing to do with health problem. So, first try to deal with the discomfort with the help of all harmless and depending on you methods (healthy nutrition, stress relieve, scalp protection, suitable cleansing formulas) and if they have no effect, consult a specialist.