How to dye beard and mustaches?
For thousands of years beard and mustaches have been much more than a protection - they are a sign of maturity, status, honor and courage. The ritual of dyeing them also has its roots in the very distant past - a fact that, hopefully, will mitigate the conviction of today's men that dyes are intended solely for women.
The most important thing you need to know before you start the procedure is that not each dye is suitable for facial hair. You will need a product:
- with ingredients that are gentle enough for the delicate skin of the face;
- that has no smell or has a very subtle one (because of the proximity of the treated areas with the olfactory organ);
- with a consistency that prevents seepage and getting into the mouth;
- that takes minimal time to color (as beard and mustache have more frequent need of refreshment of color compared to hair);
- offering a range of as natural as possible tones.
Choose carefully the color of the dye, accordingly to your eyebrows and hair. In case of doubt between two shades, it is better to choose the lighter one as you can always darken it if you don’t like it.
If the reason of the dyeing is your graying beard, you will need a permanent dye, as the temporary and the semi-permanent ones cannot cover the white hair.
Remember that you should never apply a dye on irritated or broken skin.
- Once you find the right dye, you must do a sensitivity test before using it. Apply a small amount of it on the bend of your elbow, wait a few minutes and rinse with water. If in the next 48 hours no redness, itching, swelling, or other type of allergic reaction appears you can proceed to dyeing.
- Read carefully the usage tips indicated on the packaging of the product and do not underestimate them.
- Do not wash your face before the procedure because this would deprive it of its natural protective fat, and remnants of the washing product can interfere with the absorption of color pigments.
- Keep in mind that dyes color not only hair, but everything else, which they have a contact with. Put on plastic gloves and a cloak or wear old clothes that you will not be sorry to smudge. Be sure also to protect the skin around the areas that you will treat by lubricating it with an oily cream.
- If the product is not ready for use, mix the coloring agent and the oxidizer in the recommended by the producer ratio and proceed to the dyeing immediately after that.
- Apply the dye using a fine brush (it can be a toothbrush) on the hair without rubbing it into the skin.
- Observe the time indicated on the package and do not exceed it significantly since the consequences of this could be a too intense color or a skin irritation.
- Once the time runs up, rinse the dye thoroughly with lukewarm water.
- If you have somehow stained your skin, rub the spots with a cotton ball soaked in alcohol or cologne.
- Finish the procedure by applying a lotion or a balm without alcohol on the skin of your face to hydrate and soothe it.
- Discard the excess dye, as it will not be suitable for further use.
As a compliment to all men, Aroma created an innovative product suitable for dyeing the specific male hair, as well as mustaches and beard. “GreyFix for men” is in the form of fluffy foam that is applied very easily and unfolds its full potential for record-breaking 7 minutes. With its durable and intense colors, this dye provides maximum natural vision, full coverage of the white hairs, as well as self confidence for every man, regardless of his age.